JESC 2014: Does the black out threatening tomorrow’s show?
VALLETTA, MALTA – It was so far a flawless organisation for the very first time in the recent history of the Junior Eurovision Song Contest until Friday night, during the dress rehearsal a major power cut, stopped the show while ongoing. During Bulgaria’s performance the lights went off and the show stopped for almost an hour!
THE EBU STATEMENT
“This was unfortunate, but it does show the reality of live broadcasts and the importance of rehearsals – not just for the participants, but also for all technical aspects of the show. I have been assured by PBS, the host broadcaster, that all issues will be rectified in time for tomorrow night’s televised final, as well as the the technical rehearsal tomorrow morning,” said Executive Producer Valdislav Yakovlev.
THE PBS STATEMENT
Anton Attard, Executive Producer, said later in the evening that extra generators were being brought in to be fully prepared for tomorrow night’s final. He also apologised to all delelgations, members of the audience, and the European Broadcasting Union for the power failure.
AFTER SHOW PRESS CONFERENCE
After the show a press conference of EBU and PBS took place to explain to the press what happened. It was explained to the press that a generator tripped and they could move on within minutes but they delayed on purpose to make sure everything works fine. Tomorrow there will be no problem PBS re-assured everyone. No complaints from the delegations was the assessment of the EBU while the voting went as planned.
DID YOU KNOW
In the history of senior Eurovision Song Contest we have two incidents with black out. When Luxembourg hosted the 1962 edition there was short blackout (a few seconds) after the French entry and in 2001 in Copenhagen the lights went off after the UK entry which resumed in seconds as well.