JESC 2013: CHANGES & SUBMISSION DETAILS
The Eurovision Song Contest’s little sibling will enter its second decade of showcasing the best young singers and songwriters from Europe, in Kiev, in November.
“We have a steering group that is revamping the contest to take it into the next stage of its life,” said EUROVISION Executive Supervisor, Vladislav Yakovlev. “Some new format elements will be included in this year’s event, including second and third prizes for outstanding participants as a way to acknowledge the enormous range of talent that our young performers possess.”
Ten-year-old Ukrainian songster Anastasiya Petryk, who won the 10th competition last year with ‘Nebo,’ (‘Sky’), will return to perform at this year’s event in Kiev, at the National Palace of Arts “Ukraina”. Following Anastasiya’s victory, Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovych declared 2013 the Year of Children’s Creativity.
As the host country, Ukraine, and its national broadcaster NTU have seized the opportunity to run with this theme for the contest.
“This is perfect for Junior Eurovision 2013. Creativity is one of the four key values of the event, which allows children the freedom to show off their skills and talents to fans, not only in Europe but in the rest of the world,” said NTU Director General Oleksandr Panteleimonov.
Vladislav Yakovlev agrees. “We want the children to enjoy a positive and fun environment that gives them time in the spotlight and a way to joyfully express themselves,” he said.
The two-hour contest is suitable for all audiences and will be broadcast live on 30 November 2013. Contestants will perform live in front of millions of viewers watching on television or via streaming, with the winner selected by juries and viewers from participating countries.
Entries and interest from broadcasters all over Europe remains high. Several have already completed the selection process while others are currently seeking a performer aged between 10 and 15 who will take on the honour of representing their country.
The contest is open exclusively to broadcasters that are Members of the EBU. The closing date for submission of entries is Friday 16 August.
Countries wanting to take part in this years contest have until the 16th of August. The countries that are confirmed so far are:
There have been suggestions that Malta may be looking at returning to the contest this year. The minimum number of countries that can take part is 12.