NORWAY – Jan Fredrik Karlsen stepped down as General of MGP after two years on the wheel. Jan Fredrik Karlsen is replaced by Stig Karlsen. The reason for the resignation was work commitments despite the good top ten result for Norway this year. On the other hand Stig Karlsen explains that 2018 MGP edition will include an international jury again and will try to motivate the best of authors in Norway to bring their best songs to MGP.
SAN MARINO – SMRTV Director General Carlo Romeo is once again disappointed not only by the result of his country’s participation again in Eurovision (we are surprised why) and also by how EBU is treating San Marino in Eurovision. Once again Mr Romeo leaves open door for his country to withdraw from the Eurovision Song Contest next year.
ICELAND – Happy news from Iceland as 97.5% watched the semi final in which Svala proudly participated and represented the island of ice. From the available data on the web here are the TV rates in various countries:
3,8 million in Italy
6,7 million in United Kingdom
0,9 million in Austria
4,7 million in France
4,1 million in The Netherlands
3.0 million in Australia (live and recorded broadcast)
0,1 million in Czech Republic (140,000 to be precise)
4,6 million in Spain
1,3 million in Norway
0,7 million in Croatia
2,9 million in Sweden
2,7 million in Poland
0,4 million in Estonia
0,2 million in Cyprus
0,8 million in Hungary
0,2 million in Slovenia
0,3 million in Switzerland
0,5 million in Finland
0,2 million in Iceland (153,000 in the final and 163,000 in semi final)
1,2 million in Denmark
0,6 million in Romania
1,4 million in Portugal (with a peak of 2,4 million when Salvador won)
NORWAY – Alexander Rybak stated that he has been offered a big amount of money to represent Belarus in the 2018 Eurovision Song Contest but speaking to Norwegian press, he clarified that he would love to represent Norway instead.
FRANCE – New selection process with many semi finals is prepared in France. Mission Eurovision will be introduced for the 2018 Eurovision Song Contest. Despite France’s decent result, it seems that French broadcaster is eager to bring some extra attention inland with a multi marathon national selection.
UKRAINE – A Ukrainian prankster told a court on Monday (May 15) that he didn’t regret mooning the audience during the live broadcast of the Eurovision Song Contest final in Kiev. Vitaliy Sediuk, 28, jumped onto the stage with an Australian flag wrapped around his shoulders, dropped his trousers and wiggled his bare bottom at the audience during last Saturday night’s (May 13) performance by last year’s winner of the contest, Ukrainian singer Jamala. “I don’t regret it,” said Sediuk, who has been known to ambush celebrities. “I don’t have anything against Eurovision. This time I just wanted to do something that would be remembered.” The Kiev court on Monday ordered the confiscation of Sediuk’s travel documents and imposed restrictions on his movements as an investigation into the incident continues. A security guard tackled Sediuk off the stage in last Saturday night’s incident, and the prankster later resisted arrest by police and was placed in detention for 72 hours, interior minister Arsen Avakov said on Sunday (May 14). Avakov said Sediuk’s offence fell under legislation against hooliganism, which in Ukraine can carry up to five years in prison. “The country’s embarrassment can practice his ‘hobby’ in a prison cell at a temporary detention centre,” Avakov wrote on Sunday on his Facebook page. The contest’s organising committee in Ukraine slammed Sediuk’s behaviour as “inadmissible” and assured that the “highest level of security” had been observed during the final. “We are outraged and in no way support such provocations”, Pavlo Grytsak, the executive producer of this year’s contest, said in a statement. “The offender should be held responsible for what he did.” In September, Sediuk tried to kiss the bottom of US reality TV star Kim Kardashian as she was walking into a Paris restaurant. Her bodyguard pinned him to the ground before he managed to do so.
FINLAND – During a recent interview with MariskalRock, Mr. Lordi stated about LORDI’s connection to Eurovision: “There was a time a couple of years ago — well, more than a couple — when I really, really, really hated that everybody’s always asking about the goddamn Eurovision; there was a time. Nowadays I have come to terms with it. It’s, like, okay, I’m actually proud that we are part of Eurovision history and I am proud that Eurovision is part of this band’s history. I mean, it is a big part of our awareness. Because the awareness of the band would be so different, it would be so much smaller, without that one TV show ten years ago.” He continued: “I absolutely don’t regret that — absolutely not. Because I have nothing bad to say about Eurovision itself, but the problem that we have had in the years is the people who actually don’t know anything else except for the fact that we were on Eurovision. And that is a big stamp to get out of — it’s like a fucking tattoo, you have a fucking tattoo on your forehead that says ‘Eurovision.’ And that is something that really, really, really drove me nuts some years ago; I was really struggling with that. “I have come to terms with it — it’s all right; I mean, it’s cool,” he said. “I am proud of it. And every May, when there’s a new Eurovision, I know that my phone will start ringing and people will ask my opinions and then we get requests: ‘Do you wanna come to this country’s semifinals? Do you wanna come here?’ And for years we said, ‘No, we don’t wanna. We don’t want to.’ But now, we’re, like, ‘Fuck it! Let’s do it. What the hell?’ I mean, c’mon, it’s all fun, and it’s part of our history, and the Eurovision, they really want us to come there, because, let’s face it, we are one of those winners that people still remember.”
PORTUGAL – For the first time in years the dates for the next Eurovision Song Contest have not yet been announced, despite Jon Ola Sand stating in the EBU / UA:PBC press conference in Kyiv that this will take place by the Grand Final date.
RTP General Executive Director, Gonçalo Reis explained that the dates will be decided and announced on June 13th, after the first meeting of the national broadcaster with the EBU.
The broadcaster already examines all the technical standards needed for the 2018 Eurovision Song Contest and they don’t rush to estimate the cost of the next Eurovision edition as already there is high interest from various sponsors to support the event.
Somehow we have already the impression that the 2018 Eurovision edition will be a spectacular, generous and glamorous event.
IRELAND – Samantha Mumba has offered to represent Ireland in the Eurovision next year. It’s been a tough few years for Ireland in the Eurovision. We go into it each year with so much hope, only to get knocked back again. After failing to qualify for the fourth year in a row, there has been much plotting and scheming on how to restore Ireland to Eurovision glory – and there may just be an answer.
In a piece for The Irish Times, writer Jenn Gannon reflected on Ireland’s current place in the Eurovision, and suggested that maybe it’s time to hand over the reins to a more capable pair of hands. Someone who knows the pop game. Someone who can recognise an actual tune when they see one. Someone like… Samantha Mumba.
The intro to Body 2 Body just started playing in your head, didn’t it? As it happens, we are in luck, because Samantha Mumba herself agrees.
Samantha Mumba is an Irish singer and actress. She shot to fame in 2000 with the release of her debut single “Gotta Tell You”, which reached the Top 10 in Ireland, United Kingdom and the United States. After a relatively short music career, she starred in numerous films, most notably in the 2002 film The Time Machine. She has also appeared in a number of Irish independent films. She returned to public attention when she appeared in the 2008 series of Dancing on Ice. In 2011 Mumba confirmed her retirement from music and to focus mainly on her acting career. However, in 2013, Mumba revealed via Twitter that she was back in the studio working on new material. In early 2017, she participated in a Celebrity Version of MasterChef Ireland and went on to fill in as co-host on The 6 O’Clock Show, while Lucy Kennedy took maternity leave.
UNITED KINGDOM – A Conservative councillor has been suspended for tweeting offensive comments about Irish people during the Eurovision Song Contest. Nick Harrington, who also sits as a magistrate, was clearly moved to anger after the Irish judges failed to vote for UK entry Lucie Jones.
In his ire, he tweeted: “#Eurovision2017 thanks Ireland. You can keep your f****** gypsies! Hard border coming folks!” Unsurprisingly his comments drew angry calls to the police and Warwick District Council – as well as a slew of remarks on his Twitter feed.
His Twitter account was deleted after the post, but not before it had been screen grabbed and shared across social media. Warwick District Council leader Andrew Mobbs suspended Mr Warrington for six months pending a full investigation.
In a statement the council said: “We apologise unreservedly for the offence and upset that his comments have caused.” Police are also investigating the tweet sent from the councillor’s account after complaints from members of the public.
SOURCE: THE MIRROR
UKRAINE – Before the delegations arrive in the host city, host broadcaster begins stand in rehearsals for the Eurovision Song Contest using amateur artists, students in order to start the staging preparation and the camera work for each of the participating entries. Just like every year, here are the 2017 Eurovision Song Contest stand in rehearsals as released on YouTube.
PORTUGAL – Today RTP Director General, Nuno Artur Silva has tracked back on earlier comments that Lisbon would be the host city for Eurovision 2018, claiming that no decision has yet been taken.
The comments come on the back of criticism nationally that seemed to ignore the rest of Portugal and RTP have now stated that they will look at the entire map before making an ultimate decision. There is the possibility that the host city will be chosen by public tender or a vote, as has happened in recent years but the focus from RTP is to keep costs to a minimum where possible.
The favourite host city still remains Lisbon, although the cities Faro, Feira and Guimarães have expressed an interest in hosting Eurovision. Porto, the second biggest city has not shown any interest to date in hosting but there are few venues that could host the expected capacity for the event or the accomodation requirements.
The MEO Arena in Lisbon appears to be the favourite host venue but if costs prove a problem there may be the possibility of an alternative pop-up venue or football stadium, with a temporary roof, being used to host.
EBU will be looking to avoid the issues which plagued Ukraine this year, especially with delays in building and choice of venue however having hosted recent international events, Portugal has a slightly better infrastructure system in place to avoid similar difficulties.
ISRAEL — British media reported that Israel has permanently withdrawn from the Eurovision song contest after the closing Israel Broadcasting Authority made its farewells live while reporting the country’s scores. Other countries also took the farewell by IBA host Ofer Nachshon to mean that Israel would be leaving the annual tournament, whose finals took place in Kiev on Saturday night.
“Tonight, is our final night, shortly IBA will shut down its broadcasting forever, so on behalf of all of us here in IBA, let me say thank you Europe for all the magical moments and the beautiful years,” Nachshon said at the en of the Eurovision broadcast.
Media in several countries, not familiar with the closure of the IBA as part of Israel’s public media reform that will see the broadcaster replaced by a new public media corporation, known as Kan, on Monday, reported the end of Israel at Eurovision.
Kan has said it will take over the broadcasting rights to Eurovision if it is able to qualify as a member of the European Broadcasting Union. But this could be a problem since the new Kan broadcaster does not have a news division. The news component is being run by a separate entity following a government compromise on the issue.
At the end of the Eurovision broadcast at 1:45 a.m. on Sunday morning, IBA signed off permanently.